24-Hour Emergency Vet
The Emergency Department at AAERC runs in a very similar fashion to the ER at a human hospital. With 6 full-time and several part-time dedicated Emergency Veterinarians, and a nursing staff of 15 highly trained emergency Nurses, as well as ancillary support staff such as animal attendants, receptionists, and cleaners, we are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to look after your pet.
Just like in a human hospital, our staff are trained to triage your pet from the moment you contact us by telephone, to when you arrive at the clinic, to when you see the Veterinarian with your pet. This means that we first attend to pets with the most urgent conditions as a priority, which can sometimes mean there may be a waiting time.
Our staff have gold standard technology at their disposal, including automated laboratory equipment, digital x-ray, advanced anesthesia, CT imaging, fluoroscopy, endoscopy, ultrasound, and advanced diagnostic and monitoring equipment to give your pet the very best care possible. We hope if we ever need to see you and your pet in the ER, it is for something minor!
The Emergency Department is open 24 hours a day to allow pet owners to seek treatment for absolutely any condition when their regular Veterinarian is not available. The Emergency Department operates in a similar way to a human hospital, in that patients are triaged on arrival by our highly trained Emergency Nursing and Reception staff, and are seen in order of urgency, rather than in order of arrival. The Emergency Department sees a wide variety of medical and surgical conditions, including:
- Hit by car injuries
- Head injuries
- Wounds, cuts, lacerations
- Heart disease
- Ear infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Neurological conditions
- Emergency surgery
- Complicated diabetes
- Medical conditions such as vomiting and diarrhea
What to do if your pet needs to come and see us:
- If your regular Veterinarian is closed, or unable to see you, or you do not have a regular Veterinarian, our Emergency Department is fully staffed and are available to see you and your pet 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Whilst you do not need an appointment to see one of our Emergency Veterinarians, we recommend that you call before coming to see us, so that we can advise you of any first aid measures that may be appropriate for your pet’s condition. Please note that waiting times are unpredictable, and are subject to constant change. Our Veterinarians see patients in order of urgency of the condition, which may mean that patients that are currently stable may have long waiting times. Your pet will be assessed by our trained Emergency staff on arrival.
- When you arrive, we will ask you to complete a registration form whilst your pet is assessed by one of trained staff. If your pet is suffering from a serious condition, they will be taken through to our treatment room by one of our staff so that the Veterinarian can begin their assessment and emergency treatment immediately. In this case, we ask that you remain at reception, and Emergency clinical staff will be with you as soon as possible to update you on your pet’s condition.